Sunday, July 22, 2012

Modern Plaid Bright
Pillow #7
I've finally jumped the half way mark on my personal pillow challenge!  happy, happy!


I just can't do a plain ole scrappy squares anymore.  Even though it looks bright enough and I figure the quilting will add texture and dimension...

...adding these 1/4" sashings just brings these fabrics and the design to life, for me!

Comments were made on the last pillow of this design about the number of seams there must be...yeah, lots!


But they're sewn in strips.  It's not like actually having to sew all those 1" seams!...these pillows would not exist if I'd had to sew that many little tiny seams.

I'll be revisiting this pillow soon because I don't like the finished style that I "thought" was going to look really fun.  But I don't think it works.  So, first chance I get that I'm bored and don't know what to sew next, I'll be taking this one apart and redesigning it to the standard simple pillow I like.

This pillow is also an added project to this fat eighth fabric collection challenge that can be seen here as a flickr set.

While working on this pillow, I stumbled onto the blog of bohemiannie art  She was making the most unique baby shower invitations I've ever seen.  And their scrappyness was so inspiring to me, I had to immediately make a couple of postcards after I finished the pillow piecing.


I got so side tracked with postcards and inspiration, that when I got back to finishing the pillow, I totally forgot to add some batting and quilt it!  But it was going to look ok anyway.  I'll be able to add the quilting when I take it apart.

The two postcards above are going out in the mail soon.  Do I hear disappointment that you don't have a chance at them?!  Not to fret, I have a couple of bluebirds you might like.

Bluebird Postale

Bluebird in the Garden

If you aren't familiar with how my postcard giveaway works, you can read about it in this post .

While I wait to hear from you, I have more postcards I want to make.  More happy, happy!

Annie

28 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Annie I love your bluebirds - we have a bluebird house in our back yard and love to watch them in the spring. But that pillow is over the top - the narrow sashing truly makes it amazing. blessings, marlene

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your pillow and agree it does add depth and texture. I can't wait to try one. About that bluebird....I'd love to have one.

Kathy H said...

Those bluebirds are so cute. I was trying to think of a cute postcard to send to a friend who is having surgery. You are always such an inspiration.

Mrs.Pickles said...

Great looking pillow. Thats A LOT of seams though!! LOL

Lovely postcards too you are just so darn creative!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful inspirations.
Http://kwiltypleasures.blogspot.com

Gill said...

I love your cushion - I'd love to try one!
Your bluebirds are fabulous - I wish we had them in the UK!

Anonymous said...

Splendid ! it's the word which comes to my mind when I see your work ! If only I had your talent to create and use my sewing machine like you !
Happy quilting

Cindy Sharp said...

It is all wonderful!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bluebird postale! He is so adorable! His tail feathers are what gets me! AND his background fabric is just perfect!

And those seams in your pillow-oh my! I wondered at first if you appliqued the bars over top of the squares...nope! You did it the hard way! Beautiful!

Ramona said...

I love both your bluebirds - especially the one with the wild tail feathers! You are so creative, oh, and generous!

Barb said...

I just love your pillow, lots of work but well worth it.

Lesley said...

Annie, I am always blown away by your creativity, excellent choice of colors and fabrics, and how "neat" everything is! The pillow is so gosh darn pretty, and then the postcards are so bright, bold, and gorgeous. And then you finish it off with those little bluebirds! I bet you smile all day long in your sewing room! Thank you for a breath of sunshine!

Cynthia said...

Cute cute pillow! The seams are so straight...I am very impressed! Love your darling postcards too! How fun!

Patti said...

Love, love the pillow! Hope you don't mind if I try and copy the idea...someday!

waggonswest said...

The brights are fantastic. Your postcards are wonderful. I am glad you found Bohemiannie! Her art is inspiring. I am still stunned by the shear number of postcards she made.

Karen O said...

Hi Annie,

Your bright pillow is wonderful. I am going to be interested in seeing what changes you make to it!

Your improv postcards are amazing - as all of your postcards are! And the bluebirds, what can I say? I would love to have one of them fly to my house!

Rachel said...

I am (once again) in love!

Grammasheri said...

Annie I'm going to have to try sewing up some plaid fabric myself. The pillow fabric is eye-popping! I myself like the flange-type pillow but you have to like it yourself. I know how that is! Gorgeous postcards, too!

sheila 77 said...

Thanks for another inspiring blog post, good to see the cushion in brights, and your lovely pink postcards which are going to some lucky persons who will love them. I never enter give aways but these bluebirds are so beautiful and I have a nice empty shelf where one could sit and have a happy time looking at the world in Scotland. I won't be upset if I don't win one, no I won't.

Snoodles said...

Always fun to see your pillows - this time is no exception...have I told you lately that you inspire me? LOL Stunning postcards!

bohemiannie! art said...

OMGoodness! Thank you so much for saying that my naive style inspired YOU! How awesome that you made these beautiful postcards - and the pillow...WOW! I can't stand the idea of you taking it apart. It is really great AS IS!!! I L-O-V-E your art!!!

Elsa said...

Impressive pillow ~ so many seams and love all the colors!
Love the bird postcards too ~ I'm a bird lover!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I love the applique bluebird postcard the best Annie. Your pillow is great too.

Katherine said...

Oh, Annie, this pillow is simply gorgeous! Wow.

Your fabric postcards are always so beautiful. Yum!

Beezus said...

This pillow cover is awesome. I know what you mean about this style of pillow cover, though, because I made a couple for my bed a few years back. I'm lazy (they were for the bedroom, you know?) so I just left them the way they were, but the covers never had the oomph that I thought I'd get from those outer edges. Yours, though is spectacular with the piecing and the strips. Yes ma'am, I am glad you are doing this project because it gives me lots of inspiration. (I've even put up my ugly quilt top on the wall, and will photograph it soon . . . maybe this weekend). Cheers!

edyB said...

The new bluebirds are soooo very sweet! I keep hoping for one of your little beauties to fly to NM. Sigh,
Love the pillows,too! Wonderful!

Kathleen said...

I love the pillows....love the bluebirds....yes, yes, yes....I want one!!! LOL.....thank you,

byRaquel said...

I loved your pillow.