Sunday, February 11, 2018

Play Time!

Finally some time to play!  This is about how much sewing I feel like doing.  And that’s only because Antoinette likes it when I sew for her.  It’s been a while since I baked a fabric birthday cake.



This mixed media cake has fabric, thread, a bead string, rubber stamped candles, gem stones and Washi tapes, all on card stock.

From there I went to Pinterest for some inspiration to play some more.  I was inspired enough to try new techniques and supplies that have always seemed scary to me.  

I love the Tim Holtz paper dolls, but now I have them I don’t know what to do with them.  That baby is an odd shape.  I thought I was being pretty clever putting her on the man’s shoulders.



This is all watercolors and the dreaded Gesso.  I’ve set my mind to get along with Gesso.  We have not been friends.  I used texture paste over an alphabet stencil.  I tinted the texture paste too dark.  Painted over it with Gesso.  Then it was too light!  So, more watercolor then some shading, added lines behind the family with rubber stamping and finally some “fake” splatters in white and black.  



This was all experiement and not comepletely unfortunate.  So out into the world of mail art it went.

That was encouraging, so off I go to try more!

13 comments:

jenclair said...

What a wonderful birthday card! The texture paste alphabet is so cool--I like the way that turned out. Your work always inspires me. :)

Carol Swift said...

Beautiful cards! I love the birthday cake and can envision it in a quilt. Of course, I envision everything in a quilt! LOL

tink's mom said...

Oh what a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday. Terrific card and as Carol mentioned it would be a great quilt.

sheila 77 said...

Lucky Antoinette. This birthday cake candle has so many good things. I especially like the selvedge, the great border and the heart candle on top. That was indeed clever to put the baby on the man's shoulders and I'm glad you told us, otherwise I would have thought it was always there. I had to go and look for the baby on Tim Holtz paperdolls site but it was too difficult as there were too many other paperdolls shouting for attention. Haha! fake splatters, that's a riot.

Createology said...

I love the results you achieve from your creative play time. Fabulous Birthday Cake card. How very clever of you to give that baby a boost on her daddy’s shoulders so that now she can see the parade. I see you and Gesso becoming great friends. Happy Valentine’s Dear...xo

Dortesjs said...

waue great post fab cake you did love your watercolours with the gesso texture is awsome ;O))

Renee said...

What you consider not too unfortunate many of us would consider a home run! Love this, your use of the paper dolls is so fun and the gesso/watercolors are genius. I think this is pretty special as is the fabric cake card. Gesso is my best friend, give her a chance, she’s so forgiving and covers over a multitude of “sins”. Hugs from your Imaginary Friend.

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

I love them both but naturally my eye is always drawn to your awesome stitching and sewing skills which I’m deeply jealous of. I still treasure all the little gifts you sent me as they’re so precious.....you rock Awesome Annie ;)
Hugs
Donna xx

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

That is such a beautiful cake with lovely embellishments and it's even calorie free. :) It was a great idea to stamp the candles. That baby paper doll really had an odd shape but you found the perfect place for it. Your collage is beautiful, dear Anníe!
Thank you very much for your kind comment on the sewing machine cover for my SIL!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Isn't it fun to play. Everyone should have a little play time. Love your mixed media cake! So cute.

Sandy said...

You are so creative and it is indeed a pleasure coming to your blog. Your birthday mixed media piece is fabulous!!!
sandy xx

Tera Callihan said...

I love these! I need to use my tim holtz paper dolls more, I love them, but have been hoarding them. Lol also, great texture!

Miss Iowa said...

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?! You are rocking the mixed media! I love all the layers, the muted colors, and the giant baby on papa's shoulders. You ARE too clever, m'dear.